The Best Homemade Soft Pretzel Recipe
This easy soft pretzel recipe turns out perfect every time! This simple recipe is perfect for your next party appetizer or game day snack. You simply make the dough, shape the pretzels, soak, and then bake. With just a few simple ingredients, anyone can make these for their next pot luck or game day menu. Keep reading for the best homemade soft pretzel recipe!
This recipe goes extremely well with this Perfect Beer Cheese Dip :)
Finding this recipes was a a result of my “52 week baking challenge” that ended up only being 12 weeks because, well, pregnancy :) I tried a few different recipes and found that no individual recipe was great. They had individual nuggets that were helpful, but the people who wrote them obviously didn’t make them the same way, because they didn’t turn out as good as I wanted.
However, I have learned a few things in this baking challenge and have perfected my dough making skills! Well, I don’t know about perfect, but certainly better than they were a few months ago!
I am always looking for good snack foods. Super Bowl? Opening Day? Play offs? Birthday Party? Date Night? Movie Night? Whatever occasion you have coming up, these homemade soft pretzels are a perfect menu item .Plus, if you have kids, I really think it would be fun to cook these with them!
Tips to make Homemade Soft Pretzels:
Rising Dough: You do have to incorporate some wait time into letting the dough rise. However, I have found a perfect method that allows the dough to rise a bit faster.
What you will do is turn your oven to 175 for exactly two minutes. After two minutes, turn the oven off and place your dough (covered with a tea towel) inside the oven and let it rise there. it cuts down the wait time to about 25-35 minutes rather than over an hour!!!
Shaping your Pretzels: Most recipes call you to roll our the dough into a log on the counter top. Each time I have tried this, I have had no luck.
What you should do is roll the dough between your hands. With your palms together, roll the dough back and forth and move your hands up and down to create a log that is about 20 inches or so.
Getting the Classic Golden Brown Pretzel Look: I tried few different ways to make this happen, everyone claims their method is best.
What you do is boil water and baking soda and let the pretzels soak in the boiling water for about 1 minute. Then, brush with an egg wash and top with salt before you bake.
The Best Soft Pretzel Recipe
Makes: 8 Servings
- 1.5 Cups Warm Water (110-115 Degrees F)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt + more for Topping
- 1 Pkg (2 1/4 tsp) Acive Dry Yeast
- 4.5 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 2/3 Cups Baking Soda
- 1 Egg Yolk beaten with 1 Tbsp Water
- Heat 1.5 Cups Water in the microwave (about 45 seconds) until it is 110 degrees F. It is important you take the tempurature and it is not too hot!
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add warm water, sugar, and salt and stir together. Then, sprinkle yeast on top and let sit for 5 minutes. It should turn into a frothy texture.
- Add Flour and Butter to the bowl and mix on low using the dough attatchment until well combined. Switch to medium speed and kneed the dough until the mixture easily pulls away from the sides (about 5 minutes).
- Grease a bowl or glass dish with vegetable oil. Place dough in the dish and cover with a towel.
- Preaheat oven to 175 for exactly 2 minutes. Turn off the oven and then place dough inside to allow to rise. Leave in for about 25 minutes (or until the size of the dough doubles.
- Preheat the oven to 450. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly grease with vegetable oil.
- In a large 8-quart pot, bring 10 cups of water and 2/3 cups bakingsoda to a boil.
- Divide Dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece between your two hands until they are about 20 inches long. On a floured counter, shape into a U and then cross the pieces in front and press to the bottom of the pretzel (aka make shape your pretzel)
- Place pretzels in the boiling water for 1 minute. Remove them and place them on the baking sheet. Brush each pretzel with egg mixture and top with kosher salt.
- Bake until pretzels are golden borwn, about 12-14 minutes.
This recipes goes best with the Homemade Beer Cheese Recipe !!