Quick and Easy Spaghetti Carbonara
This is the best no fail spaghetti carbonara recipe you will find. It is so simple and so fast to get on the table! This creamy spaghetti carbonara recipe is only 5 ingredients and can be made in 25 minutes. Italian food is always a great way to welcome your family over, create comfort, and something your whole family will love. I love this simple spaghetti carbonara because it’s a different take on the common spaghetti most of us make quite often and can really add to your weeknight meal rotation!
In 2016 we had the best trip to Italy. We spent a week exploring Rome and the Amalfi Coast and I truly cannot wait to go back. It is hard to pinpoint the best part of the trip, because it was all seriously amazing. However, people are not lying when they say that the Italians have the best food! We absolutely loved everything that we ate…like no exceptions. Every meal was the best meal I have ever had …which is impressive!
One dish that I never really ate before that trip was Spaghetti Carbonara. My family is Italian and am lucky to have grown up with some of the best authentic Italian food, but my Papa Vince was not known for his Spaghetti Carbonara (but I definitely miss his amazing lasagna, meatballs, and red sauce L) So when we had it for the first time in Rome, I fell in love immediately! It is creamy and flavorful without being over powering. It is light and wonderfully delicious.
Since being home and on a quest to cook good food quickly, the husband and I were determined to find/create the best recipe we could. We have made this Spaghetti Carbonara recipe several times over the past few years and have really perfected it for all of you! It is so easy that anyone can make it. I hope you enjoy the recipe and I would love to hear from you if you make it!
Special Supplies Needed
For this recipe, you will need a Heat Safe Bowl. This is how you will make the sauce! You can use a glass bowl or stainless steel bowl, as long as it's heat safe.
It’s a simple cooking process!
Grab and turn the noodles in a circular motion until eggs start to harden.
Tips for the Perfect Spaghetti Carbonara:
You are cooking the noodles and then cooking the sauce (with the noodles). The eggs get cooked in the bowl over the hot water, so DON’T DISCARD YOUR PASTA WATER!!!
Turn the noodles in a circular motion to cook the sauce. Once you see the eggs starting to harden, the sauce is done!
We use pancetta, but you can also use bacon if it is more readily available. I think the pancetta is better, but you will not be disappointed if you make the swap to bacon!
We have found that the type of noodle you use is very important in Italian dishes. There is something about Buccatini noodles make this dish perfect. I highly recommend them! If you are using something from your pantry, I would opt for a spaghetti noodle or fettuccine noodle if you have them!
Quick and Easy Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
Makes: 4-6 Servings
- 1 Box (450g) Buccatini (or Spaghetti or Linguinie)
- 3 Oz Pancetta, diced (or bacon)
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup (+ extra for topping) Parmesan Cheese, Freshly Grated
- 2 Whole Large Eggs + 6 Egg Yolks
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- While noodles cook, heat 2 Tbsp oil, over medium heat, in a large skillet and add the diced pancetta. Cook until it is crisp, about 5 minutes.
- In a large heatproof bowl, mix together eggs, egg yolks, parmesan cheese, and pepper.
- When the noodles are done, DO NOT DRAIN THE WATER. Use tongs to transfer the noodles to the large skillet and drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil over pasta. Be sure to leave the water in the pot! Stir the noodles into the pancetta so they are fully coated. Let cool slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer pasta and pancetta mixture into the large bowl with the egg mixture and mix in 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Stir well so it is fully combined.
- Set bowl over the pot of boiling water and use tongs to stir noodles in a circular motion until it is cooked. It is cooked when the sauce is a creamy consistency and you see the eggs starting to harden.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and top with paremsan cheese. Serve Warm and Enjoy!